Ford Edge tires

Melody Wilkinson

The major concern is with an Edge that has AWD, where the system can and will shut down if too much difference (> 3%) is noted ("sensed") somewhere in the system. Best to replace with the same make/model of tire that the other 3 are. Will minimize ride/handling characteristics as well as keep the AWD from freaking out.

HTH.

Not sure how sensitive Ford's AWD is to different rolling diameters but as mentioned above you do want to keep them close and the same model. A while back I was in a similar spot with my Audi and found out Tire Rack offered tire shaving. So if you do have to replace one give them a call and see if they still offer it. I think in my case I just ended up buying four new since the cost of shaving doubled the tire price.

AWD = All Wheel Drive, where both front AND rear tires can be driven as needed. Most of the time, the AWD is in FWD (Front Wheel Drive) mode, but is ready to engage all wheels/tires as needed when slippage is sensed, or the driver suddenly steps on the throttle so that power is manageably put to the ground. The overall height of the wheel/tire combination affects what the system "senses" when it is gathering information as to how much power to apply where, because it assumes

a] the overall height is the same at each corner of the vehicle, and

b] the overall height is equal to the setting in the computer's memory

So BOTH conditions must be satisfied for the AWD to work properly, but you have a leeway of +/- 3%. Outside of that, the AWD when called upon feels it cannot deal with the conditions, and can shut down, effectively putting the Edge into a FWD or limp-home mode. NOT a good thing, as it can destroy the PTU (power takeoff/transfer unit).

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Had a flat three weeks ago. Took it Sam's Club (have card, free repairs even though didn't buy tires there) and they told me if they couldn't repair properly, I would have to replace with new, same tire. Reason was the tread on AWD must match exactly. They did fix ok, and I followed up at Ford dealer and tire shop where tires purchased. Both agreed all four tire tread patterns must match on all 4 tires on AWD.

• Like 1

Melody, you can get a Ford Fusion in AWD as well, so don't let the information here deter you from looking into getting a Ford Edge. The same reasoning comes into play for most any AWD equiped vehicle. So if you're looking for a mid-sized SUV or CUV (crossover) the Edge is a tried and true proven vehicle in its class and one of the best out there.