Edge seems to misfire...

Heisenberg

So my wife has a 07 Edge 2wd with roughly 80k on the clock and it's always had this issue where when you are driving it seems to misfire or maybe lose fuel pressure, not really sure. You can be steady on the throttle at any speed and it just starts sputtering. A lot of times it happens going up an incline but not always. You can floor it and it'll stop the sputter or you can let off the throttle completely for a second or two and it will go back to normal for awhile. She bought the car used and bought an extended warranty with it. This problem eventually triggered a CEL about a year or so ago so we took it to Ford and they changed out a fuel injector (can't remember which one but I'll find out). The problem shortly came back but in a very moderate way and since Ford took 2 weeks to change a friggin injector, we've just been living with it.

Now the problem is back with a vengeance! She said the CEL came on again yesterday but by the time she got home from work and I could get it to AutoZone, the code was gone and their readers can't see any stored codes. So what do I think about this you ask? Well I haven't changed the spark plugs EVER, so I'm going to do that this weekend. (Are the plugs really factory Iridium?) But besides buying all new injectors I would like to see if any you guys have had this issue and if so what was your fix. If you haven't had this issue then maybe my description can help you help me diagnose this problem before something really breaks!

Thanks guys!

Edited by Heisenberg

Spark plugs won't hurt but I wouldn't do anything else without codes. Buy a code reader - they're cheap.

+1 If your wife has an Android phone I would check out one of the BT OBDII devices. Pair it with your phone and use the free Torque app. This way as soon as she sees the CEL she can read it and not worry about it clearing. I keep one in every vehicle now since they are so cheap.

While I have no experience with this issue, I do seem to remember some people having issues with their throttle bodies. So maybe do a search on that and see if the symptoms are the same. Not that I would go out and buy one but at least it might give you a point of reference.

+1 If your wife has an Android phone I would check out one of the BT OBDII devices. Pair it with your phone and use the free Torque app. This way as soon as she sees the CEL she can read it and not worry about it clearing. I keep one in every vehicle now since they are so cheap.

While I have no experience with this issue, I do seem to remember some people having issues with their throttle bodies. So maybe do a search on that and see if the symptoms are the same. Not that I would go out and buy one but at least it might give you a point of reference.

She does and I will check into that tonight when I get off since this problem seems to be intermittent. Thanks for the advice guys and I'll keep this updated for anyone with similar issues.

I assume you have tried Fuel Injector Cleaner via the gas tank? Techron or BG being among the most documented brands for actually working. The problem can definitely lie elsewhere (spark plug (not so sure), fuel injector (not so sure), wiring, PCM, throttle body/throttle position sensor, fuel pump, etc.), but worth a try.

Any particular RPM at the time you notice the issue, or all over the place?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Yes I've ran fuel injector cleaner through the tank but no I'm not sure of a particular RPM this issue is at, I'll check on that as well. but she had someone read the stored codes and there were no active codes but one pending P0303 (cylinder 3 misfire). Here is what he told her:

Here is the information based on the scanner

The Long Term Fuel trims were perfect. 1-2% - means the fuel system is working properly, excellent in fact.

The MAF was reading properly as well.

No Knock or pinging was heard or detected

No check engine codes.

One pending code P0303 for cylinder 3 misfire but I believe it is a symptom not the cause in this case for the surging.

I think it is the Throttle Body (TB) based on the erratic TB%

The TB% would go from 24-26% to 56-58% with no movement in the throttle. This would cause the spark advance to go to single digit numbers and even negative numbers which coincided with the surging while driving.

When the TB% was correct the car drove normal with normal power.

Once the TB numbers went erratic, the surging returned.

If it was my car this is the part I would buy to correct the issue.

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-S20040-Electronic/dp/B0065XUF9M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430510141&sr=8-2&keywords=S20040

What do you guys think? I'm still gonna replace the plugs but should I buy a TB now as well?

Edited by Heisenberg

So we bought the throttle position sensor and it seemed to be fixed but after a few miles the probkem came back. It definitely seems to be happening at a certain throttle position and at any speed over 35mph. Going to do the plugs next and go from there to the cylinder 3 injector I guess. This issue is quite annoying haha

Unfortunately, the 2007 Edge does not have a fuel pressure monitoring system, so you can't read it through the OBD port. The fuel rail Schraeder valve is all you have to go by. At best, you could hook up a gauge to the valve and see what the readings are at different engine RPMs, but that may not be a true test for the misfire/sputter.

Ideally, the fuel pump should also be tested not only for fuel pressure, but fuel volume. That level of detail can be extracted by any competent service shop.

Take some pics of the spark plugs (factory platinum) when you change them out please. Since the spark plugs are on the frontlines of the combustion process, they can help with the diagnostics.

post-23566-0-11214800-1431341624_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Back from the dead! I went to the Ford dealer where some work was done previously when this problem existed. They changed cylinder 4 injector. I had my neighbors scanner and it showed cylinder 3 misfiring. I bought a new injector and new spark plugs and threw them in and we are golden now! This is after we bought a throttle position sensor and throttle body though...$200 down the drain I guess... Thanks for all the replies!

• 3 months later...

I'm sharing this to assist anyone that may have experienced any of these problems. 1. I had a code for cylinder misfire on cylinder 5. Changed the coil pack and plug with no change. The car definitely had a misfire and running rough. 2. The AC super working with the ac switch. Wired it to battery to see if the compressor was OK and it was fine.. Just not coming on with the switch. 3. The transmission had trouble in the overdrive gear. The car would start jumping/shuddering when it reached the shifting point of the overdrive gear. Got 4 different mechanics to check the car out with all different diagnosis that did not fix the problems. I then broke and took it to Ford and was told that it was the PCM. I purchased a new PCM, had it replaced and programmed and to my surprise this fixed all of the problems stated above.

• Like 1

Were there any codes in the old PCM set before you took it to Ford? Any idea how they came to that conclusion? TIA.

Yes there was P0355 code. I let them know that changing the coil pack and plug for that cylinder did not remove code or the misfire. They did a full diagnosis and told me that it was the PCM. I purchased a new never used PCM online and had it programmed but I think a used or remanufactured one will be good and will take less time to program. Mine needed all of the software since it was blank which took a while to program

• Like 1

I was shocked that the PCM was the issue and that it was the cure to all the problems. I just knew that it would be installed and the problem would still be there and wow how wrong was I. It fixed the other things that I was planning to tackle after the PCM fixed the misfire. Surprise surprise for me everything was like new again.