New Owner of 2013 Edge Limited

Mutinymilitia

Hey all, long time Ford owner (mostly Rangers and F-150's), but just traded in my 2007 fx4 level 2 ranger and the fiancées Nissan Sentra on this beautiful Edge. We went to look at a new Explorer, and even looked at a new Edge, but we fell in love with this one, and it had too many options that we couldn't pass it up. Only thing it doesn't have is the eco boost motor ?, but I can live with that for now. I think my favorite option in this vehicle is the brown and black leather! Let me know what you all think...

Just wondering if you guys and gals have any advice, tips, or things to look for with the Edge.

Thanks in advance, and I'll be around!

Aaron

post-35161-0-81993500-1430196132_thumb.jpg

post-35161-0-85424600-1430196232_thumb.jpg

post-35161-0-34256600-1430196362_thumb.jpg

Welcome, Aaron, and congrats to you both on grabbing this beautiful '13 specimen! To see any safety related details or get parts/service coupons, you can hop on to

http://owner.ford.com

I guess the first "business" question would be of warranty and whether you have AWD/FWD. If you have AWD, you may have to contend with PTU issues down the road. More well known with the 07-10's, but creeping into the 11+ consciousness lately. Don't believe the "lifetime" fluid hype. Have the fluid level & condition checked by a competent mechanic or DIY.

Door ajar sensor: A most annoying issue. If you are a DIY'er, cost of part + elbow grease. Not too bad.

Throttle Body Failure: Can be a heartstopping experience in traffic. No extended warranty yet from Ford, though they may have a way to at least diagnose it now via an updated PCM calibration.

APIM: Has an extended warranty from Ford, should it fail. Happens time to time.

Brake Booster Failure: Extended warranty coverage on this as well.

Drive Axle Failure: Very rare to hear (at least on the Edge), but can happen. Recall is out for it.

Hey www, thanks for the info! It is an AWD, but we did opt for the extended warranty as it was a certified pre owned vehicle from a Ford dealer.

Do you think the things you listed are something I should have the dealer check now, or only if there is an issue? Not sure what would be worse, losing the brake booster, or the throttle sticking open or closed ? sounds like I should at least inquire whether they updated the PCM and checked for those things. I'm assuming (maybe that's a bad thing) that since it is certified, they would have checked that? Anyways, hopefully we got a good one, and if not, hopefully our dealer takes care of us and having the extended service plan is with it!

Thanks again!

I certainly hope your Edge is troublefree!!! I made the list more for you to be aware of the issues that MAY crop up, and have time to be prepared to deal with them. No panic situations :) What I would really do right away is make sure the PCM calibration is up to date, and have the PTU fluid level/condition checked (depending on whether this is a good servicing dealer or not, may have to go independent). There should be CPO/powertrain warranty covering the PTU to 5 yr/60K mark at least.

I forgot to mention Wheel Bearings. More of an issue on the '07-'10, but worth knowing about.

I hope your extended warranty is a Ford warranty? You can compare them here.

So much good info! Thanks! I am 99% sure I got the premium care plan, I know it's at LEAST that one if not something else better because of it being CPO. It's def through Ford though. Been there, done that with third party warranty companies with my WRX ?

I have to go back to the dealer anyway to get some pin-striping taken off, so I will ask about the pcm and the fluid in the ptu then.

• 1 month later...

Welcome, Aaron. I really like the brown leather seats in your new-to-you Edge. I haven't seen that anywhere else. It picks up the woodgrain dash trim nicely. I have a '13 also, but mine is an SEL, so not as many bells and whistles as your Limited. But I love mine. No troubles, no regrets. Hope you have the same result. P.S. Get the Husky mud flaps for the front. You won't regret it.

post-32911-0-00834200-1433644098_thumb.jpg

post-32911-0-82778200-1433644308_thumb.jpg

post-32911-0-77816800-1433644462_thumb.jpg