converted chevy wife to a ford family

nynoles

My wife came from a chevy family, we got her a new car in June 2013 and after driving a few different cars, I had successfully converted her to a Ford family.

I drive a 2009 Fusion and she has driven a 2013 Edge since June of 2013.

Luckily, I have had nearly zero issues with my 2009 Fusion in the 6 years I have driven it.

We have had quite a few electrical issues with the Edge recently and was wondering where in these forums I can post the problems and see if people have faced similar problems. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Welcome, and congrats on landing yet another Ford customer :) As akirby said, SEARCH is your friend. You will come up with a lot of related links, so start off very generally, then narrow down to what you are really looking for.

Assuming it is not a short or something where you have to look really deep into the system, the battery IS the first place to look. Is it original to the Edge? Is it 2-3 years or more of age? Any corrosion on the terminals? Are the terminals tightly connected? Have a professional load test done to get the CCAs. That should match the label on the battery very closely. If your driving is short/stop'n'go, the battery may not be getting fully charged.

Other popular components known to cause issues: the BCM, the APIM, and of course devices left plugged into the power points and left on.

My wife came from a chevy family, we got her a new car in June 2013 and after driving a few different cars, I had successfully converted her to a Ford family.

I drive a 2009 Fusion and she has driven a 2013 Edge since June of 2013.

Luckily, I have had nearly zero issues with my 2009 Fusion in the 6 years I have driven it.

We have had quite a few electrical issues with the Edge recently and was wondering where in these forums I can post the problems and see if people have faced similar problems. Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Welcome to the forum!

Tricia is the main Customer Service Rep on the forum, and I'm her back up. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. :)

Meagan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

It started with a dead battery one morning about 6 weeks ago.

Upon jumping the battery and charging it fully, the traction control lights and dashboard were going crazy.

Ford dealership started by replacing the steering control module that they said went bad.

Upon leaving the dealership, I found that the rear wiper blade was not working anymore. So I returned a week later to have that replaced.

In the 6 weeks since the dead battery, the GPS (while being used) would just stop working (happened 3 times total) and would say there was no SD card in place. During the wiper blade replacement, they did a hard reset on the system and hoped that would work.

Last week I got to travel back to the dealership yet again for an APIM (I think it's called ... Sync brain basically is what I get from it) complete replacement. Took 2 attempts to reprogram the APIM so that it was working properly as I left.

Hard to believe that a car with less than 2 years and less than 30k miles would have so many electrical issues.

• 9 months later...

Hello again,

Same 2013 Ford Edge is having problems again. 42k miles now and this morning it won't start (won't turn over). Tried jumping it with another vehicle (as the lights dimmed when trying to start it) and that did not work.

Really struggling again, so I would appreciate any help at all!

I would try a new battery regardless of how it tested (unless I missed where you stated it was already replaced). In today's cars, I have noticed the most odd behavior when the battery is not 100% or has a manufacturing defect.. Odd things not working or acting totally strange.

If it's anything like in the 2007:

post-23566-0-12009400-1451231976_thumb.gif

post-23566-0-69131100-1451231984_thumb.gif

Removal and Installation

S7V~tr~en~file=ani_caut.gif~gen~ref.gif WARNING: When carrying out maintenance on the starting system, be aware that heavy gauge leads are connected directly to the battery. Make sure protective caps are in place when maintenance is completed.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable. For additional information, refer to Section 414-01 .
  1. Remove the air cleaner. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
  1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable and adjustment lock from the transmission manual control lever.
  1. Disconnect the transmission shift cable rotating slide snap and position aside the transmission cable.
  1. Remove the nut and the transmission manual control lever.
    • To install, tighten to 18 Nm (13 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the starter motor terminal cover.
  1. Remove the starter motor solenoid battery cable nut.
    • To install, tighten to 12 Nm (9 lb-ft).
  1. Remove the starter motor solenoid wire nut.
    • To install, tighten to 5 Nm (44 lb-in).
  1. Disconnect the wiring harness retainer from the starter motor stud bolt and position the wiring harness aside.
  1. Remove the starter motor stud bolt, bolt and the starter.
    • To install, tighten to 27 Nm (20 lb-ft).
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.