Daylight running lights can be turned on

Thought I would pass on something I learned today. May help someone else.

Was at my local dealer today, had been told in the past that I did not have the proper equipment for DRL.

Called other dealers and was given the same spiel. (09 Lincoln MKX).

Anyway, while checking in for a door lock problem (turned out it was frozen), I asked to also have my DRL turned on. They told me they could not do that and I handed them copies of pages from the Ford service manual showing the procedure. They looked surprised and said OK.

$45 later and now I have DRL's.

According to the manual, DRL's are controlled through the smart junction box (also known as the Generic Electronic Module). Procedure is for the dealer to connect his Vehicle Communication Module with the correct Integrated Diagnostic System (software) and simply set a flag to on, under the DRL section.

When the DRL is active, the smart junction box provides a "Pulse Width Modulated" voltage to the low beam headlamps. This illuminates the headlamps at a reduced intensity. (Basically it turns the low beams on and off rapidly, with a 50% duty cycle. This results in a dimmer output, (but the light looks continuous).

Conditions: Ignition switch in run position, car NOT in park, headlight switch in auto, on, parking lamps position. (Be aware that when running on DRL's, the tail lamps are NOT turned on).

Service manual I have, is for 09,10 Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX; but probably a standard function on ALL edge's and MKX's.

Hope this will help others who may also want DRL's on their car,

Dennis

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 2

Standard OEM factory halogen bulbs. (Silver-star actually).

I would guess that aftermarket HID can NOT be switched in this manor as it may cause problems with the ballast or electronics. Best to check with the Mgr of your equipment. (Was it designed for this or was it never considered)?

However I'm fairly certain that OEM HID can be turned on as it a standard feature of all modern Ford and Lincoln autos.

LED's are a big question mark IMO. The lighting circuit uses a FET in the smart J-box to do the switching and the micro computes the actual frequency. It's possible that the LED's may not draw sufficient current draw for the circuitry to recognize, or, more realistically, may cause the LED's to flicker (standard incandescent filament bulbs don't really go on and off, the filament continues to glow even when current is off, not so with LEDs, they will switch completely on and off when the current switches on and off. No persistence). If so, I doubt the flickering would pass state DOT or federal FMVSS requirements & possibly draw the attention of a cop for having an illegal setup.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1