Jump ship from GM & bought our 1st new Ford - 2014 Edge

Sloanie

Always been a loyal GM man. Being a mechanic and having several mechanic friends (55 age group) and being disapointed in GM quality, me and my wife bought a new 2014 Ford Edge SEL. We noticed when we purchased it there is a backup camera already installed on the lift gate. Wasn't supposed to be on the SEL model. My question is: what can I install to complete the unit and make it work???

Welcome to Blue Oval country, and congrats on your '14 SEL! EB or V6? Pix please :) Do you have the window sticker handy? If not, you can check what equipment rolled out of the factory here:

http://www.etis.ford.com

seems like there are 3 package levels: 200A, 204A, and 205A. If you have the 204/205, you have the rear view camera builtin.

2014 Ford Edge packages.PDF

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Thanks for the reply. Our Edge is a 3.5 V6. Looking at the window sticker the "Equipment Group 200A" is on there. Our sale person and several of the dealer technicians looked at the vehicle before we took it home and were also surprised that the camera was installed in the lift gate. They all thought it was a mistake from the factory. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Sloanie,

I'm as new here as you are and this conversation should probably be taking place on the mods & tech thread but...I ran across a plug n play wiring harness addition called "Lock Pick" that I think will allow you to get your rear view camera working. Try this web site: www.coastaletech.com and look for the unit that works for Ford products in general and Edge in particular.

If I'm wrong about the application working for your vehicle, hopefully someone here will correct me. I have no connection with this company or product just an intrrest in a possible purchase myself.

Check this post in the Accessories & Modifications thread...

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/17046-installing-backup-camera-in-2013-edge-sel/?do=findComment&comment=122563

The 2013 SEL is basically the same vehicle. I think as long as you have the MFT, you should be able to do this.

Wise move coming to Ford from GM. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Good2Bking, Thanks for the reply! I'm checking into all the information provided now. Ya, been catching a lot of flak from my buddies a out buying a Ford. However I did build a 1929 Ford Pickup street rod but put a Chevy LS1 engine in it. Always said if Ford would put a Chevy engine and drive train in a pickup they would have an outstanding truck!

LOL. Spoken like a tried and true GM man. Had my mother's hand-me-down Vega back in the late 70's, so my experience with GM not all that warm and fuzzy. And after a brief never-again stint with Chrysler, I've had Mercs & Fords since.

Funny though, my mechanic of 30 years has always preached that if you're buying foreign, then go Nissan... but if you're buying American, always buy Ford. He hasn't steered me wrong yet. Still lovin' my '07 Fusion and so far still thrilled with my '13 Edge SEL. All the best of luck with your new '14 SEL. I'm betting you'll be a good (if not reluctant) convert.

• 4 weeks later...

We had two Luminas that required the intake manifold gasket replacement on the 3.1L,last one was a '98 we got with just under 190k on the odometer, beat and scratched all to hell, something splattered all over the interior, for $700. Drove it 5 years as the family car, and passed it down to a teen son that managed to kill the ignition switch in 3 months. They wanted over a grand to install and program the security feature.

I looked at them like they had 3 heads, laughed, and to 'em where to stuff it as I walked out.

Now we are busy loving our 08 Edge SEL, so much more fun to drive.

Welcome to the Edge Forums!