2008 Ford Edge Sync update 1.3 or 2.1?

bjenki

I'm a newly registered member of the forum, but I've used this forum several times over the past few weeks and wanted to add some insights that I've gained about the sync system in the 2008 Ford Edge. I recently purchased a used 2008 Edge Limited with sync version 1.0 installed. I decided I wanted to update the system to the latest version, so I created a profile on syncmyride.com. The website told me that I needed a dealer installed updated that would bring my system from 1.0 to 9L2T-14D544-BE Gen1-v2.1. I took the information into the dealership and they updated the system to 1.3 and told me that was the best they could do. After several angry telephone conversations with the sync people and a couple visits to the dealership I finally got what I needed. The dealership updated my system from 1.0 to 2.1 today for $55. YES, IT CAN BE DONE. Don't let the fools at the dealership tell you that 2.1 can't be installed on a 2008 Edge, because it can and it just was. The update may require the dealership to call the sync tech support hotline, but it can be done. I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about this update, so hopefully this helps the next person that has the misfortune of trying to get the dealership to install an update to sync.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a newly registered member of the forum, but I've used this forum several times over the past few weeks and wanted to add some insights that I've gained about the sync system in the 2008 Ford Edge. I recently purchased a used 2008 Edge Limited with sync version 1.0 installed. I decided I wanted to update the system to the latest version, so I created a profile on syncmyride.com. The website told me that I needed a dealer installed updated that would bring my system from 1.0 to 9L2T-14D544-BE Gen1-v2.1. I took the information into the dealership and they updated the system to 1.3 and told me that was the best they could do. After several angry telephone conversations with the sync people and a couple visits to the dealership I finally got what I needed. The dealership updated my system from 1.0 to 2.1 today for $55. YES, IT CAN BE DONE. Don't let the fools at the dealership tell you that 2.1 can't be installed on a 2008 Edge, because it can and it just was. The update may require the dealership to call the sync tech support hotline, but it can be done. I've read a lot of conflicting reviews about this update, so hopefully this helps the next person that has the misfortune of trying to get the dealership to install an update to sync.

Ā 

I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for you, bjenki!

Ā 

What does the 2.1 give you that the older version didn't? I also have a 2008 (bought used) and the website is pretty vague about what the upgrade does.

Ā 

kglade,

Ā 

Version 2.1 adds Vehicle Health Report (for U.S. vehicles) and 911 Assist. Make sure you call a couple delers in your area to get the best price! :)

Ā 

Rebecca

Edited by FordIVTteam

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a 2008 Edge Limited with navigation & sync. It's still running 1.3. Does the 2.1 version improve the screen interface? The gray screens seem like something from Windows 95. I've also seen videos of others who have what appears to be the same hardware, but the startup screen is split screen, with half showing the GPS and the other half with radio info and an equalizer bar. The interface graphics are a vast improvement over what I have. Is this what comes with 2.1, or is a slightly newer model with similar hardware. I was under the impression that there were only two different variations between the 2007-2009 models and 2010-on. The 2010-on hardware looked entirely different.

Ā 

If 2.1 gives the upgraded interface, along with the improved bluetooth, it will be worth the dealer charge to update.

• Like 1

Syncmyride.com shows I'm good for the 2.1 upgrade. Just wondering if the benefits of the upgrade justifies the time and expense. If I run it in to the dealership, is there anything else I should have them do while I'm there? Already ran the VIN through Ford.com. No recalls listed.

Version 2.1 only adds Vehicle Health Report (for U.S. vehicles) and 911 Assist; I don't have any other recommendations for you to have checked out in regards to SYNC. I like 911 Assist and believe it's a great feature to have, but you be the judge. ;) Here's a link to what it does:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/911-assist-overview-sync-navigation

Rebecca