Extra smart key needed.

Soks

You can get a used one off eBay, just make sure it has the same FCC number & the same buttons as yours. Since you already have 2 working fobs, you can easily program it yourself following the procedure in the owners manual.

As for the emergency key, if really need one, you can get a new uncut one also from eBay and cut just like any normal key.

Ā 

Note: when I got a used remote & key for my MKX, the key profile was bigger than my key, so simply cutting it again made it work for me. So you might also be lucky. Or you can find a used fob with an uncut key also on eBay.

How to program the IA extra key without going to the dealer. Note that if your spare key in not enabled, your dealer will have to enable it. Copied from my 2013 Edge service manual.

Ā 

With Intelligent Access (IA)

NOTE: This procedure works only if 2 or more programmed keys are available. If 2 programmed keys are not available, refer to Key Programming using Diagnostic Equipment in this section.

NOTE: This procedure works only if the customer spare key programming is enabled. If customer spare key programming is disabled, refer to Key Programming enable/Disable Spare Key Programming or Key Programming using Diagnostic Equipment in this section.

1. NOTE: Carry out steps 1-7 within 30 seconds to successfully enter programming mode.

The ignition must be off to begin this procedure.
  1. Place two programmed Intelligent Access (IA) keys inside the passenger compartment.
  1. Insert an unprogrammed IA key in the backup transceiver slot in the center console.
  1. Press the driver or passenger door lock control switch to the unlock position 3 times.
  1. Press and release the brake pedal once.
  1. Press the driver or passenger door lock control switch to the lock position 3 times.
  1. NOTE: After this step is followed, the indicator on the start/stop switch begins to flash rapidly, indicating that programming mode has been entered.

Press and release the brake pedal once.
  1. Press the start/stop switch to program the new key. A message displays on the message center indicating the new IA key has been programmed.
  1. Exiting the programming mode is accomplished if one of the following occurs:
    • The driver or passenger door lock control switch is pressed
    • 1 minute has passed since entering programming mode or since the IA key was programmed
    • Brake pedal is pressed
    • The ignition transitions from OFF to any other state
    • The maximum number of keys are programmed
  1. Verify the operation of the new key by pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the IA key, then place the new key inside the passenger compartment and start the engine with the new key. Make sure the original keys are outside of the vehicle when verifying the new key operation.
  1. If it is desired to program an additional key (only up to 4 keys total can be programmed), repeat Steps 1 - 8 for the additional key that needs to be programmed.
Edited by ls973800
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late update. Everything worked great. Purchased spare on ebay and programmed as per the instructions. Didn't work the first couple times so I flipped the key in the transceiver slot and tried again. Success! Thanks to all. Saved a lot of money as dealer quoted around $300 - 350. I spent around $80.