08 Edge won't start

RXuereb

Hi there so this week I went to start my Edge and well it didn't start u hear the starter and lights and radio etc. working but the engine won't start. The next morning I tried again and it started right away. I took it to the dealer and he couldn't find anything wrong, then a few days later went out with the family when we were going back home it wouldn't start again.

Any thoughts?

This is going to sound old, since it has been suggested many times recently, but check the battery. Is it original, relatively new, etc.? What is the voltage across the terminals.

May simply need a new battery.

Check all the fuses underhood as well. The layout of the fuses is in the owner's guide, available online at

https://www.motorcraftservice.com

I was thinking #41 underhood (starter), or #27 pass compartment (ignition).

What error are you getting from the CD player? When it does have a problem, it can cause a parasitic draw on the battery, not turning off completely even after turning the vehicle off.

Can you provide a bit more detail as to what happens during the starting problem? Do you hear clicking/buzzing, or does the engine actually try to turn over normally (not a "wheezing"/slow type of cranking, but strong)? Have you checked the cables for tightness? I had a problem in the past like this when one of the terminals on the cabling was loose/faulty, and had to be replaced.

Could be a faulty starter or ignition switch if everything else checks out.

It just says CD Error as soon as I put the key in ignition and it goes away in few seconds, radio works fine CD not sure as never used it.

During start up u hear the starter going no clicking/buzzing. The engine doesn't sound like its trying to turn over.

Was at the dealer this past thursday and was told they found nothing wrong. Yesterday was upstate in a mall and when it was time to leave it would not start, went to Sears and they were nice enough to walk to the car and bring a battery charger and it still wouldn't start then about 5 min after the Sears mechanic left it started up, like nothing happened! So I drove around to Sears and they check the starter, battery, and they found that the alternator was bad he said its giving out 2V only. But if the alternator is bad would that effect the engine starting? Isn't the alternator for charging the battery?

Tomorrow I have an appointment at the dealer again so the check the alternator.. Ufff I hate going to the dealer!!

Battery starts the car, then alternator takes over and charges battery while car runs (assuming enough rpms are reached to overcome auxiliary demand). That's my understanding for "normal" non-hybrid vehicles.

You can get one of these to help you check voltages easily.

Starter could very well have gone bad on you (clutch not engaging the flywheel), get it checked out.

Another thing, you start the Edge in PARK mode? I hope you do not have a starting problem again, but if you do, try starting in NEUTRAL mode. I don't think the trans/safety switches are involved here, but could be.