My first Edge is on order

grumzy

Hi,

I have a Red SEL, 2.0l EcoBoost, 201A package with driver entry and Navigation on order since last week, 6-8 weeks for delivery I was told so looking at mid June before I get it. (Just in time for a trip to Quebec City in July)

I've wanted an Edge for years and finally I'm able to get rid of my mini van (2005 Pontiac Montana SV6).

So while i wait, I thought I'd ask a question.

Taking into account I'm in Ottawa, Canada so the prices are higher, what are peoples experiences with the Extended Warranty Purchase.

I intend to have this vehicle for many years and was wondering about upgrading to a 5 year 100,000Km warranty. (60K miles).

As the powertrain is already 5 year/100K I'm thinking its not worth it. ($1500).

What surprises have people had after the initial 3 year warranty has expired?

I'm not sure if it is worth it either. I have an '08 and the dealer showed me a history report that said the only work it's ever had done was an alignment and panel replacement after a sideswipe. No a/c fixes, starter problems, or power steering issues my last car had. On its fifth year of life now, and since I bought it used, I have an extended 3 yr / 100k mile warranty and haven't had any issues.

You could try what I did...

I got mine at a lower price and for extended time/miles. I wish I could remember what I beat them up to but I completely forgot. If I can dig up the paperwork some where I will be sure to post it on here when I find it.

Just tell them you aren't happy with the price of the warranty and you are going to go shopping around to buy a warranty from another place whom has a better price. When I did that he pulled the "Well I need to go speak with my manager" and came back with a much better deal. Good luck, bud.

• 2 weeks later...

so April 24th I ordered and still no vin or build date... Feels like a long time. Hopefully not too much longer.

I want to make sure the dealer doesn't put his own decal on it, I can't imagine that will be a problem if I ask, but if he does, can they be easily removed without causing damage? I've never tried.

so April 24th I ordered and still no vin or build date... Feels like a long time. Hopefully not too much longer.

I want to make sure the dealer doesn't put his own decal on it, I can't imagine that will be a problem if I ask, but if he does, can they be easily removed without causing damage? I've never tried.

I ordered mine on March 15 and it came in on May 1st. I got mine in Kingston so I imagine you can expect a similar timeline.

With respect to the dealer insignia, just follow up with your salesperson on that after five weeks or so. I've not had a problem with having them leave off the badge or license plate surround in the past.

I don't know what to tell you about the extended warranty. Some people say that it is a waste of money if you get one, but all I can tell you is that duringthe last year that I owned my '06 Explorer Ltd, there were numerous repairs that were covered under the extended warranty, to the tune of over $4,000. It's kind of like term life insurance, damned if ya do, damned if ya don't ! :doh:

I'm surprised you haven't gotten build date and VIN yet. I ordered my Edge on April 16th and had the build date and VIN about 2 weeks after I ordered it. I got a call from my dealer yesterday saying its scheduled for transport on May 17th and delivery on the 20th. I can't wait. If its here by Tues the 21st it will be less than 5 weeks from order to delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my VIN today, but there is no window sticker yet so I imagine I'm still a couple of weeks away from build. I got a good deal on the price but I guess I'm paying for not using a dealer with a large build allocation. Having said that, I've waited years to be able to buy an edge so I should just enjoy the anticipation. This is the first factory order I've ever done and whilst it's good that I can have the exact options I want, and I get a car that hasn't been sat on a lot or test driven, it does come with it's own set of issues.

I have leaned a few things about the process that I wish I'd known earlier. Particularly the concept of dealer build allocations and priorities. I didn't know such things existed.

I'm still pretty excited about getting it though. I've honestly wanted an edge for years but needed the practicality of a van before.

Now the kids are grown, I can be a kid again!

• 4 weeks later...

yay, exactly 8 weeks after I ordered it my Edge arrived at the dealers today.

Unfortunately I'm away now until next week so can't pick it up till Tuesday.

Does anyone know if the current 120 hour sale in Canada has a larger discount than the 3750 customer rebate I got when I ordered, after all I doubt the dealer will tell me.

Congrats on the new Edge being in.

IMHO, I think extended warranties are a very poor investment. I don't buy them on any product, including vehicles. I have had a couple of times that an extended warranty would have been useful, but the cost of these repairs was a small fraction of the cost of all of the extended warranties I would have purchased. Again, just my humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally picked up my Edge last week, absolutely loving it. Nicest vehicle I've ever owned by some distance. I didn't buy any extended warranties in the end, figured I can always buy it later if the vehicle looks like it might be trouble.

I just Scotchguarded all the fabric this afternoon, hopefully It'll help keep it pristine.

reaction from friends, family and co workers has been very positive. I get the impression that most people have never considered an edge but when they see one close up it wows them.. So glad I got the red, Never thought I would ever pay extra for a colour but it looks fantastic on the driveway so I'm glad I did.

Anyhow, no mods planned, just need a set of winter rims and tires, I won't be getting Ford OEMs, likely pick up a nice set of 17s or 18s from tirerack at half the price (or less). Ottawa weather means winters are a necessity.