Panel keeps falling down

I expect the trim panel you are describing is swinging down from the panel edge nearest the firewall and deepest in the foot well.

On my MKX, the trim panel is attached with push pins at the bottom of the dashboard face and has a single rigid tab molded in the middle of the trim panel edge that's nearest the firewall.

The rigid tab sits atop the carpet-insulator pad and retains the trim panel in its appropriate upward position, keeping it out of the foot well.

Take a look or feel around the top edge of the carpet-insulator pad, where it forms a shelf that the tab should sit on top off & be retained.

If that shelf area has rounded off, you may be able to put some cardboard behind that specific area to push the insulator pad inboard enough to retain the tab and keep the trim panel in place.

Or, you can use Duck Tape.

Good Luck!

post-23702-0-46299600-1361987363_thumb.jpg

post-23702-0-99735700-1361987384_thumb.jpg

post-23702-0-00364200-1361987407_thumb.jpg

Edited by Haz

I expect the trim panel you are describing is swinging down from the panel edge nearest the firewall and deepest in the foot well.

On my MKX, the trim panel is attached with push pins at the bottom of the dashboard face and has a single rigid tab molded in the middle of the trim panel edge that's nearest the firewall.

The rigid tab sits atop the carpet-insulator pad and retains the trim panel in its appropriate upward position, keeping it out of the foot well.

Take a look or feel around the top edge of the carpet-insulator pad, where it forms a shelf that the tab should sit on top off & be retained.

If that shelf area has rounded off, you may be able to put some cardboard behind that specific area to push the insulator pad inboard enough to retain the tab and keep the trim panel in place.

Or, you can use Duck Tape.

Good Luck!

It was similar to that. It is a large-ish panel that is directly under the glove box, and it attached at the front with two trim plugs. In the rear, it fits into an indentation in the firewall. The panel itself looks like it covers the fan motor for the a/c. I took the glove box and panel out this afternoon and figured out that it had not been installed correctly, took about 5 minutes to fix it.

Incidentally, the panel had a thick piece of sound-deadening material attached to it, just like the door panels. If the rest of the interior is like this, no wonder the truck is so quiet!

• 4 weeks later...
this panel fell off the other day and I only have 1,000 mi on my Edge! easy to re attach pushing the trim screws back in, but I did not put a lot of thought into it, does anyone know if there is a 2nd USB port hidden up above this panel or behind the glove box?

Just wondering why there might be a hidden USB port in that area? The purpose of the USB is that it is handy for the driver or passenger to use, not something that has to be found by disassembling pieces of trim or panels.

No, there is no USB in that area or anywhere else in the vehicle except for the two USB ports inside the center console. I don't know if those two are standard or part of a package. My 2013 Limited with MFT and Nav has those two in the console. Do you have those there?

Just wondering why there might be a hidden USB port in that area? The purpose of the USB is that it is handy for the driver or passenger to use, not something that has to be found by disassembling pieces of trim or panels.

No, there is no USB in that area or anywhere else in the vehicle except for the two USB ports inside the center console. I don't know if those two are standard or part of a package. My 2013 Limited with MFT and Nav has those two in the console. Do you have those there?

I do have the USB port in the center console so I'm good there, I ask because I know I read a while back on another Ford forum (Mustang, Focus, F150 ??) that there was a extra hidden factory USB port (might be mini USB, like on a phone) somewhere under the dash that was usable and owners were connecting iPods and keeping them in the glove box.