A Plan Pricing + Incentives... am i getting taken?

MattyP

I think this dealer is trying screw me, it is not adding up right. This is my first A plan purchase is the US (since i have relocated from Canda). The dealer is telling me with A plan they cant give you any other insentives, not even a free oil change!

Is this true, or am i Geting screwed?

I am looking at a 2013 Edge Limited AWD sticker prices is $42,590 w/ 301A package + Vison and 20 chrom rims.

The dealer says the aplan price is $38,567, and 0 % APR. Does this seem like a right price?

Can dealers stack discounts, becuase when i first walked in i got $2500 off for where i work, can that be added to the A plan? The dealer says this is illeagl?

My location is is West MI

At first the dealer said there is no 0% APR and tired charging me a 6% intrest rate.

The public incentives should be the same. If you're eligible for 0% interest or rebates without A plan you should still get those with A plan. You probably won't get anything extra from the dealer like free oil changes but the incentives should be the same or even better in some cases. Just check with another dealer if you're not sure you're getting a straight answer.

MattyP: Congratulations on your impending new vehicle purchase. Based on what you describe, it sounds like you didn't immediately tell the dealer you were A-Plan eligible.

Under A-Plan rules, the dealer cannot provide you anything that he would not provide anyone else walking in off the street. If the dealer gives every customer a free oil change through Owner Advantage Rewards, then you as an A-Plan customer are entitled to that same free oil change.

A-Plan rules ensure a level playing field for all dealers and consistent treatment for all A-Plan customers.

Also under A-Plan rules, the dealer must show you the invoice for the vehicle you are interested in purchasing. This allows you to view the A-Plan price in writing on the invoice. As an example, another user on this site posted this invoice, which clearly shows the boxed-in A/Z-Plan price in the bottom line.

You can review A-Plan rules, search dealer stock & view A-Plan prices for searched vehicles on the AXZ Plan website, where you also obtain your A-Plan PIN that you provide to the dealer for your purchase. You will need your CDSID & password to log-in to this website. Any special A-Plan incentives should also be viewable through the AXZ Plan website.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys. I told them right off the back that I have A plan. But they first told me that they would give me the $2500 discount + A plan. I think i must have new sales guy, he kept going on about how he cannot do anything with the A plan. Usually when i purchase a vehicle I get the dealer to throw something in like an extend warranty or free oil changes are things i have got in past purchases of vehicles.

This is my first US vehicle purchase,

Thanks for the info guys. I told them right off the back that I have A plan. But they first told me that they would give me the $2500 discount + A plan. I think i must have new sales guy, he kept going on about how he cannot do anything with the A plan. Usually when i purchase a vehicle I get the dealer to throw something in like an extend warranty or free oil changes are things i have got in past purchases of vehicles.

This is my first US vehicle purchase,

When you use A plan the dealer is selling you the vehicle BELOW THEIR COST. Ford gives them a spiff check to give them some profit but it's still at least $1K - $1500 less than any other normal purchase. The dealer can't "throw something in" - they're already throwing in a several thousand dollar discount.

When you use A plan the dealer is selling you the vehicle BELOW THEIR COST. Ford gives them a spiff check to give them some profit but it's still at least $1K - $1500 less than any other normal purchase. The dealer can't "throw something in" - they're already throwing in a several thousand dollar discount.

Having sold GM's in the past, we used to love the employee's who purchased a car or truck from us. GM set the price and there was no haggling for the buyer. The price was under invoice, at times several thousands. There were also times GM had additional incentives on certain vehicles just for the employee's which really brought the price way under invoice. The buyer was entitled also to any public incentives and or special financing.

The dealer NEVER lost money, and in fact it was GM who "lost" money by selling it at that price. Now when I say "lost", the true cost to GM to build that vehicle might have been $5000.00 less than any invoice shows. So if GM gave up $3000.00 of that $5000.00, they "lost $2000.00. Not a real loss, just less profit.

The dealer made more money than off a typical $500.00 over invoice sale because of the money GM paid them per employee sale. If a dealer made $1000.00-$1500.00 less than a normal sale, no dealer would want to pursue the employee sales. Our commission checks at the end of the month always proved that the employee sales made by us paid better than many of the regular sales.

I am sure Ford is set up very similar, actually benefiting both the employee with the set price and the dealer with the "spiff" paid.

Having sold GM's in the past, we used to love the employee's who purchased a car or truck from us. GM set the price and there was no haggling for the buyer. The price was under invoice, at times several thousands. There were also times GM had additional incentives on certain vehicles just for the employee's which really brought the price way under invoice. The buyer was entitled also to any public incentives and or special financing.

The dealer NEVER lost money, and in fact it was GM who "lost" money by selling it at that price. Now when I say "lost", the true cost to GM to build that vehicle might have been $5000.00 less than any invoice shows. So if GM gave up $3000.00 of that $5000.00, they "lost $2000.00. Not a real loss, just less profit.

The dealer made more money than off a typical $500.00 over invoice sale because of the money GM paid them per employee sale. If a dealer made $1000.00-$1500.00 less than a normal sale, no dealer would want to pursue the employee sales. Our commission checks at the end of the month always proved that the employee sales made by us paid better than many of the regular sales.

I am sure Ford is set up very similar, actually benefiting both the employee with the set price and the dealer with the "spiff" paid.

Depends on the amount of the spiff check. I do know that the A plan price is 4% below invoice and holdback is only 3% of invoice so A plan price is either right at or just below the dealer's actual cost. If the A plan spiff check is only a few hundred bucks then that is still way below dealer invoice. If the A plan spiff is a few thousand bucks then that would certainly make up the difference and then some. So it really depends on the amount of the A plan spiff. I'll ask my salesman next time I see him.

Others are correct as I've used A plan (now Z) many times. The price is preset plus you get any public promos (such as Ford rebate money) but oil changes are usually a dealer addon which aren't included unless the dealer adds it. Also note that doc fees are preset under A plan so you'll save a little there as well. Anything else (extended warranties, etc) are NOT part of A plan and can be sold at whatever the dealer can get for them.