Can This Be True? Wheel Question...

Ironpeddler

In my search for a set of 20" chrome OEM wheels to replace the 17" stock wheels in my 2008 SEL AWD...I came across an eBay ad for a set of 2013 wheels that the seller says will fit the larger bore of the 2007-2010 Edges.

Here is the eBay listing. Read the gray area titled "Tire and Wheel Package'...that's where he states the fitments.

Does anyone know this to be true? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I looked at that ad you linked to, and something just didn't look right. I searched for the Edge 20" factory wheels, and found this link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-OEM-FORD-EDGE-WHEEL-RIM-20IN-3847-/251206330494?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7d10687e&vxp=mtr

That is what the 20" wheels on my 2013 Edge Limited looked like. The picture of the ones in your link are DIFFERENT and are not, as far as I know, factory issued Edge wheels. With that size bore, they are either off a different Ford model, or are an aftermarket wheel.

The newer (2011 and up) Edges have a smaller bore than the 2010 and older. You can not fit a smaller bore onto your older Edge unless you machine the bore or perhaps there are adapters of some sort you could use.

The other important issue is the wheel sensors or TPMS. The 2011 and newer models used a different type sensor and frequency than the 2010 and older models. Different mounting system and different control box which operated on a different frequency. If these wheels have 2013 sensors in them as the seller states, you will have to switch them out with different ones in order for them to work with your 2008 system.

I think these wheels may be off an Explorer which may have the larger bore opening. Still a good looking wheel and may be worth the extra cost of the sensors if you go for them. Let us know what you decide or figure out. I have talked to Detroit Wheels in the past when I was looking to replace my wheels and they seem to be a pretty good seller.

Just found these same wheels with different tires and the smaller bore size from the same seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-FORD-EXPLORER-CHROME-WHEELS-TIRES-255-50-20-HANKOOK-SET-4-FACTORY-OEM-/110996902835?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19d7ee53b3&vxp=mtr

I don't know how the bore size on the ones you found can be different and will fit the 2008. It would be worth a call to them if you are interested enough in the wheels and tires.

Well, all three of us are on the same page. All the questions you raised were concerns of mine. The bore, the different sensors, and whether they are in fact an OEM wheel. I just wanted to confirm these issues with you guys before I place the call. From the looks of them, they look like a decent deal....even if I have to swap out the sensors. If so, I'll buy a new set of sensors and relegate my 17" wheels to my Winter setup after I throw on a set of snow shoes.

Truth be told, my perfect wheel is the 22" chrome OEM Sport wheels with the smaller bore of the 2011 and up Edges. The chrome with the black on the spokes would look great on a Black Edge...I just can' seem to find an after market wheel with that wide of a spoke with the black.

I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out...I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I don't know if you called them yet, but being curious I checked their ads once again. I found this statement in one of their different ads. It sounds like the ones they have listed for the larger bore may have been drilled out by them for a customer who may have backed out of the deal before buying them.

"WILL NOT WORK ON 2006-2010 EDGE'S DUE TO CENTER BORE BEING SMALLER STARTING IN 2011, CAN HAVE THE WHEELS DRILLED OUT, CALL FOR MORE INFO IF YOU HAVE 2006-2010"

Hope it works out for you, that is a very decent price for the wheels, tires, TPMS, center caps, and free shipping!

Heck, you can sell the incorrect sensors on the forum or ebay if you don't have a use for them. That would cover the cost of replacing them with the ones you need.

Well, I spoke to Joe over at Detroit Wheels & Tires this morning and he answered all our questions completely. He seems like a straight shooter with a good amount of integrity after speaking with him for close to an hour. He knew the bore sizes of the different models right off the top of his head and really knows the wheel business inside and out.

1) The wheels are brand new OEM right from Ford and he bought close to 500 of them directly from them. The best he could surmise is that maybe Ford had these made for new car sales and decided not to use that style. They are NOT an after market clone.

2) These are for the 2013 model year and is having them bored out by a local company that does this type of work for the area car manufacturers and custom fabricators, that's why he has the same wheel for all model years of the Edge. He wasn't sure if they used a metal lathe or CNC machine to increase the bore, but he said there was plenty of metal at the center to handle the slight increase in size...so structurally they are fine. He had them done to the correct depth and only at the hub, NO cutting was done to the chrome face which would cause them to peel. Joe guarantees the work and says if they vibrate, he will take them back and he will pay the return shipping. He just started this endeavor and only has 5 sets out there...and so far no complaints or issues.

3) He will make sure the correct TPMS sensors are installed before he ships them out. He is also flexible on the tires and will accommodate most requests.

After our conversation I have a good feeling about this and just may pull the trigger if nothing else comes up for less money. If I do decide to buy them I will come back and update this thread.

Hope this helps those thinking whether to buy them or not.

Are the wheels alloy and chrome plated or are they chrome clad?

If they're OEM then they're chrome clad.

Well that is a very good question. The seller states in his ad they are factory chrome plated. Even though these are being called OEM wheels, from what Ironpeddler stated the seller said, these wheels were NEVER issued by Ford to an assembly line and installed on any vehicles which left the factory with them.

Perhaps there was a change of plans, or a problem with the manufacturing of these new wheels before enough were made for the assembly line. Perhaps the new design just didn't work well on the vehicle. Who knows why.

With that said , these could be plated or clad, just have to see what the seller says.

Are the wheels alloy and chrome plated or are they chrome clad?

Well that is a very good question. The seller states in his ad they are factory chrome plated. Even though these are being called OEM wheels, from what Ironpeddler stated the seller said, these wheels were NEVER issued by Ford to an assembly line and installed on any vehicles which left the factory with them.

Perhaps there was a change of plans, or a problem with the manufacturing of these new wheels before enough were made for the assembly line. Perhaps the new design just didn't work well on the vehicle. Who knows why.

With that said , these could be plated or clad, just have to see what the seller says.

In that case I guess it's hard to tell.

• 1 month later...

Well, we'll soon find out as I just ordered a set from Joe yesterday. He told me he's already sold OVER half the 500 wheels he originally bought and is getting orders for them almost every day. I opted for the Pirelli tires versus the Goodyear. He's installing the correct, banded sensors in them and balancing as well.

I'm going to try putting this 22ple VM1 Rim and Metal Coating on them first in hopes of making them easier to clean and then bolting them on. I bought a TMPS sensor tool from Tire Rack so I should be ready to go.

I'll keep you guys posted on how they work out.

Well, we'll soon find out as I just ordered a set from Joe yesterday. He told me he's already sold OVER half the 500 wheels he originally bought and is getting orders for them almost every day. I opted for the Pirelli tires versus the Goodyear. He's installing the correct, banded sensors in them and balancing as well.

I'm going to try putting this 22ple VM1 Rim and Metal Coating on them first in hopes of making them easier to clean and then bolting them on. I bought a TMPS sensor tool from Tire Rack so I should be ready to go.

I'll keep you guys posted on how they work out.

Another buyer who posted on a different post here just the other day confirmed with Joe that the wheels are indeed chrome plated! Much better than the chrome clad in my opinion.

I really wish I could justify buying a set at these prices for future replacement on my 2013. Wonder where I could hide a set in the garage for the next 4 or 5 years before I need new tires without my wife seeing them!