Not quite an owner yet, but seriously considering! Your input appreciated.

Guindalf

Hi,

I'm in the process of buying and I think I may have found the car I want. It's a 2011 Limited complete with the 20" rims, HID headlights, Panorama roof, power liftgate and navigation. It has 35k miles on it (about 750 left on the warranty) and it's VERY reasonably priced (about $5k below dealer retail).

However, it has one thing that's making me think twice and that's why I joined the forum looking for opinions...

It is the product of a dealer buyback (lemon law) because of the infotainment system! The dealer selling it (not the original dealer) claims that it has been fixed and updated, but I need reassurance that it would be the right buy.

Can you help? Do you think it's worth taking a risk?

I see that Ford have extended the warranty on My Ford Touch to five years/unlimited miles and, given that the car was first registered in November 2010, that gives me three years of extra coverage.

Looking forward to your replies before I make a final decision.

Thanks,

Tony

Edited by Guindalf

Hey Tony,

My MKX had a couple minor issues when new, now with 2 updates, things a pretty sweet. If you go for the Edge, I would reccomend going with an extended warranty, like 7 year. 100,000 miles. Go with a Ford Premium Care, DO NOT go with an outside company. My sister in law went with an outside company a few years ago, on a Ford Five Hundred, and it was worth squat.

There are still a few hiccups but it is quite an extensive computer system running in there. It's to be expected that there are a few hangups from time to time. The updates have made the system much more tolerable though. If the dealership has given you an extended warranty on the touch system then you should be fine.

The more important question to me; is the rest of the vehicle what you are looking for? If it is, then don’t let the MFT scare you off, yeah it was bad when it first came out and the car magazines had a fun time trashing it. Like any piece of new technology the MFT system has had some growing pains, however, Ford does seem to be aggressively working on getting those fixed. Even if it takes a couple of more revisions, I think it will get to be a ‘solid’ system.

I would want assurance that the Lemon Law buyback is NOT shown on the title at all. But still, Carfax will probably show it. Have you looked at a carfax on it? I guess if the price was discounted big enough, you wouldn't have to worry about anybody wanting it when your ready to get rid of it. I wouldn't be worried about the vehicle, they have probably fixed that. I would be worried about my monetary future with it.

Edited by Texasopa

I would want assurance that the Lemon Law buyback is NOT shown on the title at all. But still, Carfax will probably show it. have you looked at a carfax on it? I guess if the price was discounted big enough, you wouldn't have to worry about anybody wanting it when your ready to get rid of it. I wouldn't be worried about the vehicle, they have probably fixed that. I would be worried about my monetary future with it.

It is shown on an Autocheck report. I spoke to the dealer and he has full documentation of everything that happened - all service visits and what was done to put it right. He is offering me full disclosure.

I know it means squat, but he also told me that since 1999, this particular dealer has been selling these vehicles and they would give me a fair market value when it came time to trade it. I have also spoken to the local service department and a local salesman or two and all have told me that I should go for it. On another forum, two people have owned '12 or '13 Explorers and returned them within a few months because of the problems with the MFT. I think now if I go for it, I would have no more issues than someone buying one new. I will check that the APIM has been replaced and the latest software installed.

Well, I've decided that if all checks out, I'm going for it! We'll make the trip to the dealer tomorrow. He says he has full documentation as to what went down "in the interest of full disclosure", so I'll check that out. I intend to get an extended warranty, whether I can get them to include it or add it at a cheaper rate.

I got a copy of the original invoice for the car today and that shows that it was delivered to a dealer in Wisconsin and has the 301A package that includes HID headlights, Panoramic roof, Navigation and Driver Entry Package. The latter excites me as I had a Camry with the fob entry and I know how good it can be! I always wanted remote start too. Living in Georgia we get some very hot days in the summer and cold nights in the winter!!

ETA: Forgot to mention the 20" rims too.

Edited by Guindalf

Thanks, guys. Liking it so far! Had a small scare last night. I went to meet friends and was early, so I was looking through the list of SiriusXM stations when the screen froze. I restarted the car and it went in to System Maintenance' mode. After a few minutes it came back and all seems ok now.

It was just doing a scheduled update. Sometimes those can come at inopportune times but if yu give the system just a couple of minutes it will load up the update and then go back to normal operation. It can be a bit frustrating when it occurs when you are trying to do something specific but otherwise there will be no harm. It would certainly be nice if the updates or system maintenance could occur when the car was off but I guess tht would be quite difficult to work out logistically.

• 4 weeks later...

i,m waiting for my brand new edge limited they told me it should be in feb. 4 so i,m not a new owner yet my other vehicle was sold just before christmas a 2004 explorer eddie baurer v8 was thinking of another explorer but wife wanted to try something different i had 2 explorers the 04 we bought off the lot new the other was a buy back 2000 eddie baurer we purchased 1 year old it was allright they said when we bought it it had a vibration that the tires made because of what type vehicle it was SUV and even though they said it was corrected the previous owner didnot want it so to the ford auction it went they bent over backwards to correct every problem we had because it had a warranty we bought plus the one ford had put on the vibration problem the title didnot say reaquired vehicle after it changed to our name but after about 3-4 years we traded it back to them on the 04 and low and behold that one vibrated too and it was a different style all together so we decided to trade this one in and they wanted to give us rock bottom trade so we wholesaled to another dealer and made 2500 more on it and now we are waiting for the edge and thats my opening story

i,m waiting for my brand new edge limited they told me it should be in feb. 4 so i,m not a new owner yet my other vehicle was sold just before christmas a 2004 explorer eddie baurer v8 was thinking of another explorer but wife wanted to try something different i had 2 explorers the 04 we bought off the lot new the other was a buy back 2000 eddie baurer we purchased 1 year old it was allright they said when we bought it it had a vibration that the tires made because of what type vehicle it was SUV and even though they said it was corrected the previous owner didnot want it so to the ford auction it went they bent over backwards to correct every problem we had because it had a warranty we bought plus the one ford had put on the vibration problem the title didnot say reaquired vehicle after it changed to our name but after about 3-4 years we traded it back to them on the 04 and low and behold that one vibrated too and it was a different style all together so we decided to trade this one in and they wanted to give us rock bottom trade so we wholesaled to another dealer and made 2500 more on it and now we are waiting for the edge and thats my opening story

Welcome to the forum. May i suggest you use punctuation and some capital letters? I had to stop reading after the second line. It's very difficult to read.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So far, so good! I got the car on 12/8 and here we are with few issues. I have noticed the disappearing Sirius channels, but it doesn't bother me at all. I know what they are!

My new SD Card is due to arrive today, so I'm ready to perform the upgrade when I get home (or maybe wait until the weekend).

UPDATE:

So far, so good! I got the car on 12/8 and here we are with few issues. I have noticed the disappearing Sirius channels, but it doesn't bother me at all. I know what they are!

My new SD Card is due to arrive today, so I'm ready to perform the upgrade when I get home (or maybe wait until the weekend).

I'm curious if you were able to purchase an extended warranty for your Edge. Many times you can not get one from the manufacturer if the vehicle you are interested in covering is a buy back. I just wonder if you got the Ford ESP.