Vista Roof Rattle

When I was in a few weeks ago for my first oil change, I mentioned to the service advisor that my sun shade made noise when it opened and closed. He asked me if it was a rattle or not. Mine isn`t a rattle, so for now I`m leaving it. Apparently to fix the rattle they have to remove the headliner and fix whatever it is that is causing it. He said they have done quite a few in the last while.

Maybe what you are hearing is different, but it was a rattle they said was a problem that is happening more and more.

Hope it helps.

TSB 07-16-11 roof opening panel squeak/rattle

There is a new velcro and glue metod for the black trim ring.

Everyone of the vista roof equipped vehicles should have this checked.

Sure wish that the Dealers would learn to read the service bulletins.

Richard and Barbie

I noticed that rattle also. I sat in the back seat and pushed up on that black ring. It stopped the rattle.

But it started again a day or so later. I "fixed" it again and it hasnt started up again. I will make an appt to have it fixed correctly.

• 4 months later...
TSB 07-16-11 roof opening panel squeak/rattle

There is a new velcro and glue metod for the black trim ring.

Everyone of the vista roof equipped vehicles should have this checked.

Sure wish that the Dealers would learn to read the service bulletins.

Richard and Barbie

Sorry to be resurrecting an old topic, but it's the most appropriate one I could find since you include the TSB #.

I had the same problem with the rear vista roof plastic trim rattling and told the service dept about it when I dropped my 07 Edge off for the first oil change. They called back and said that they couldn't duplicate the problem (they seem to say that a lot), so I told them that I believed it was related to TSB 07-16-11. This made them happy and they gave the car back to me sans the rattle. The invoice had it written up as:

"Cause: 7922 Repair 071611A

Part#: 7050036"

I don't know what that means, but sadly the rattle came back after a couple of weeks. This time I took a very close look at the plastic trim and was able to determine that there is double-sided tape holding it up and every week or so it fails and the trim 'drops' down until I press it up against the tape again.

So when I took it in 7,500 miles later I told them again that the vista roof has a rattle in the back. This time they never told me that they couldn't reproduce it, but when I got it back there was no more rattle. That was yesterday so I sincerely hope that I'm not back here replying to the same message saying that it didn't work. The invoice has it written up as:

"Cause: 15417 C-K Reseal Top Trim At S-R MT50282 Adjust Sunroof

Part#: 7850282"

I don't suppose anyone knows what that means? If it fails again, this will be the second time I've had them try to fix it with no resolution. What should one normally do after that?

• 1 month later...

There is a Black Plastic Trim Ring that goes around the rear sun roof. This piece is held up there by Velcro. The velcro does NOT stay glued to the Body, Glass Surface! Mine did the same thing and Ford gave me a tube of Contact Adhesive and I fixed it my self.

There is several places around this trim ring that has velcro and I glued them all. NO problems since and it has been several COLD months ago.

There is a TSB on this and it has already been mentioned. Look under TSB updates section in this forum and it will explain it there also.

If your dealer is NOT lazy they can look it up also, and it clearly explains how to fix it, and no the headliner does NOT have to come out to fix it. I know this because I fixed it myself without taking the headliner down.

• 2 weeks later...

The headliner on my 07 awd SEL above the rear dome lamp keeps coming away from the ceiling. You can hear the rattle every time you go over any kind pf bump. They already fixed the trim ring on the sunroof. There are 2 brackets with velcro sticky pads that hold the ceiling by the dome lamp back there up. There about 8 inches or so to the left and right of the dome lamp. Dealer uses there useless glue. Rattle stops for about 2 months then comes unglued and starts rattling again.

Think I'm going to get myself some good contact cement and fix it myself.

• 7 years later...

Hello. At me after winter cold weather the same problems began: rattles in case of a driving on an uneven dogoga in back part of a roof of Vista Roof under a ceiling, around a back plafond of lighting of salon. I read this section of a forum and I have questions: for elimination of a problem it is necessary to dismantle a ceiling, but I don't know as correctly it to make! What latches and in what places fix a ceiling as it is better to remove it. I will estimate any councils. Thanks.

• 10 months later...

Guys, I can find this TSB 07-16-11 anywhere, would appreciate if anyone can post some pictures pointing out to above mentioned "black ring" which should be pushed up.

Edited: Never mind, found it.

Just noticed that you found it. Also found another one, might be useful.

TSB 07-16-11.pdf

TSB 07-25-4.pdf

Edited by omar302
  • Like 1