a New member seeking advice

Mondeo

Hi,

I have a 08 mondeo sport with the 2.3L . it is been heavenly good; very stable, holds the road tight, spacious and reliable. However, the multiple electronic sensors can be irritating sometimes!!!

with a new member in my family coming on the way (second child) I am considering trading it for an SUV; namely Ford Edge 2013 AWD sport with the 3.7 engine. What do you think? Do you guys recommend the Edge? if not, which SUV would you recommend among rivals?

thanks for the help

We mainly got our Edge for traveling Europe in and family expansion. Congrats on your baby-to-be! We are also expecting and I am very happy to have our Edge. With it my wife wont have to bend over when placing the baby in a carseat or put much strain on herself while getting in and out of the vehicle. We have a Limited and I am personally very happy about picking that over the Sport. I think it has a nicer ride quality. I like comfort over power. Infact, I didnt know about the MKX until after I bought our Edge. If I would have known about it, I might have purchased it.

I can't speak on the rivals, but in the Edge we have hauled a lot of baby furniture and other things and I couldn't be happier with it. There is a lot of room in the back row for a child and anything else you might need to get back there. Gas milage is decent and the car has good power to get you out of a sticky situation on the road.

I know my advice here is a little vague, but maybe other members will start piping in soon. Good luck with your decision and the baby!

Congrats on the baby. We have found the Edge to be a very competent family hauler though it isn't without it quirks (like all vehicles). But with that said the AWD systems have been problematic in the past and even some 2011+ models have been plagued by bad seals. So if you don't need AWD I would skip it. But the biggest detractor for this vehicle is the MFT. While they have minimized the bleeding with Ver 3.02 it is still far from perfect. They have released 3.22 but I am holding off since I had a horrible update experience before. So again if you don't need all the bells and whistles you could consider an SE. If you do go with a loaded model other issues that crop up here and there are with the sunroof rails and motor and the rear cross path detection system giving errors. Can't really comment on the competition since I don't have one but the other vehicle we really considered was the Audi Q5. We looked at a few others but they just didn't seem to be a complete enough package for what the wife wanted.

If you have any basic experience with window systems MFT works pretty well. I could see people with limited exposure to PC etc being a bit Intimidated.

Couldn't be further from the truth. The system is actually fairly well laid out and intuitive enough that most anyone should be able to set up 90% of functionality in minutes; it is just full of bugs. But as Blankster mentions if you have worked with windows much you should be familiar with its quirks and its ability to just s the bed every now and then. Since this is based on a MS platform it is no different. Many times it works well and others times it will bog down and "Perform Scheduled Maintenance" which is really its cover for a reboot. Sometimes this reboot sets things straight other times it will just continue to loop in this state for a while. Problem is you have no diagnostic mode like traditional windows. So if it starts this reboot cycle you can't go into a safe mode and try to figure out what is happening and correct the issue or even just have access to core controls. Now if this system were entertainment only I wouldn't care so much since I can live without the radio, but last winter we had several days of no HVAC control...and by no control I mean no heat either. Again 3.02 was a vast improvement for me in stability but after 6 months issues are cropping up more frequently. Sometimes we can go days without a glitch then have days where nothing works.

Couldn't be further from the truth. The system is actually fairly well laid out and intuitive enough that most anyone should be able to set up 90% of functionality in minutes; it is just full of bugs.

I have to agree. If you can operate any smart phone or tablet then MFT operation is easy. The bugs are real but not everyone has the serious ones.

thanks for the congrats. and suggestions.

OMG according to your description this MFT thingy seems to be more traumatic than the touching interface I currently have in the modeo. I do not understand why Ford does not separate these entertainment packages from control panel of other fundamental functions such as AC!!! last Winter the mondeo's screen system went off and we had to use the car for 1 week with AC on all the time (18C @ Max vent power).

Issues with the AWD and sunroof rails seem to be serious and should be considered if we go for the Edge.

I have been searching and looking around for months, as wlepse said the Edge really got the full package you think of (For a reasonable price).

MKX got it too but my wife does not like it.....believe me last thing you want to do is to say NO to a pregnant lady

Cellbine congrats for the 'Expected baby-to-be'

cheers

OMG according to your description this MFT thingy seems to be more traumatic than the touching interface I currently have in the modeo.

Cellbine congrats for the 'Expected baby-to-be'

cheers

I wouldn't be too deterred by MFT. Lots of members, like myself, have had a problem free experience with it. I wouldn't dismiss the potential for problems, but MFT has a lot to offer especially if you are in the States. We are currently stationed in Germany and we can't use our Navigation system but I am still very happy with it overall. I have had MFT reboot on me maybe 3 times in over a year. All in all, it's been great to have!

Thanks for the Congrats =)

Edited by Cellbine

I must be one of the lucky ones with MFT. Only had 2 proplems since the vehicle was new in March 2011 (rel. 2.7). The navigation crashed on a trip (fixed in 2.8) and the calendar thought current date was dec 4 2028 (fixed by the dealer recently) other than that MFT for me works as advertised. The only mechanical issue I had was the power steering pump (2011 only) at low speed dropped the boost a bit (replaced via TSB). Just about to turn 13K miles and I would buy another one again (looking forward to the next generation next model year).

Edited by blankster

Welcome Mondeo. I've had my 2012 Sport for about 10 months and have really enjoyed it. I came off of an Infiniti G35x lease and before that, two Chrysler 300c's with the V8 HEMI. Would I be happy in a crossover after driving fairly powerful good handling performance sedans? My answer is yes. I definitely am happy with the Sport. For an SUV, it handles very well and has pretty decent acceleration for a 4K pound car. It's a great highway car and does great in the twisters. And the style is totally unique. Ford really got the proportions just right. Hope you decide to go with the Edge.

Edited by kc300c